Re: [oletrucks] A few questions

To: Deve Krehbiel <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] A few questions
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:17:02 -0400

Deve Krehbiel wrote:

> 1) I am in need of any information I can get on the overload springs that
> came optional on the 1950 3100. I need some so anyone with information,
> please reply.
>
> 2) Is there any preference as to what year model rear end I could use to
> compliment a 3 speed overdrive transmission I want to put in a 1950 3100
> WITHOUT modifying the rear end brackets?

Impossible, well not really but almost. The only alternative you have to the
three speed is a granny 1st- 4 speed or a saginaw 4 speed torque tube
conversion from Patrick's( both still 1 to 1). There was a source listed in
Brownells book of a outfit that would cut you torque tube in half and weld in a
overdrive unit. It seemed expensive and I have heard of people looking for
them, seems they went out of business or went underground. If you are going to
alter it that much anyhow, why not loose the torque tube and go with open drive
line. This opens up your options, and makes that 3 speed overdrive almost a
bolt in.  A 55 to 62 meatball will bolt in your axle, but you will need ot cut
off the pivot mounts and weld on some solids. I've done this in a weekend, the
results were well worth the trouble. There are no rear ends I know of that will
bolt in without welding on new spring perches.

Grant