Re: [oletrucks] Starter

To: Spectatin@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Starter
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:35:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/00 5:58:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Spectatin@aol.com writes:

> I know I'm showing my mechanical ignorance here but here's my question:
Our
>  starter is making an ugly grinding/clunky sound,  it will still get us
>  started but it sounds terrible.  Do I need to; a) look for a new starter
b)

>  look for  parts to rebuild it or c) have it rebuilt?  Thanks for your help
>
>  Michelle

  First I'd clean all connection from the battery to the starter, verify no
bad cables...ect...clean up the grounds good too.

  If the battery has a good charge, and you still have a growl...you'll have
to do one of two things...

  replace it

  or take it apart and see what's wrong.....There's a lot you can do to
"recondition" it...replace brushes (if needed)...do a "shadetree" trun on the
cumalator, clean all the rust off the field pads and armature (careful of the
mica inbetween the armature), check the field coils to make sure they are not
open (need a ohm meter) and check the armature to cumalator wires to make
sure they haven't slung solder.

  You can also replace the bushings at either end as well.

  Everything I mentioned above can be done with a inexpensive meter, hand
wrenches, sand paper, emery cloth, screw driver, propane torch, solder,
pocket knife, hacksaw blade, wire brush.  And a drill press comes in handy,
but not necessary.

  If the Armature is shorted internally though...it'll need to be replaced,
also, if there is evidence that is been rubbing on the feild pads, it should
be turned or replaced...this is where it begins to make sense to get the
rebuild.

  Mike (who took the day off to "recondition" his starter just last
Wednesday...because he REFUSED to pay NAPA's price for an exchange)

  Hey...that's what sickleave is for:)