[oletrucks] Re: electric motor

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: electric motor
From: "Dennis O'Connor" <boyoconnor@netscape.net>
Date: 17 Oct 00 09:33:43 PDT
find a couple of great mailing lists with archives that have everything you
need to know!  These guys have built electric trucks too, and there are
experts who can answer your questions about how many batteries you'll need for
hauling how much weight, etc.

Most of the DC setups I've heard of keep the transmission.  Some of the AC
motors can bolt right up to the wheels, or directly to the rear axle.  That's
right, no driveshaft.  I've even seen some with 2 motors, one driving each
wheel.  But the real problem with AC is that the electronics are still very
expensive and complicated.  Most EVs are DC today.

Also, most are based on lightweight vehicles...which the AD trucks are not!
:)  You can also expect to spend $6K - $10K for the conversion, including over
$2K worth of batteries.  Myabe more for a truck.  You need to replace
batteries every 2 years, but that works out to about the same as gas costs.

Good luck!

-Boyo