[oletrucks] Re: electric motor

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: electric motor
From: RICKVICKY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:29:37 EDT
Sorry for the long delay of my response. I too concure with the use of an AC
motor, with the new variable frequency drives available these days, AC would
be much better (but expensive). Several of the electric motor manufactures
make variable freq. drives, Baldor is one of them. The way it works is 440
volt AC is rectified to DC and then the DC is then reconverted to AC by the
use of SCR's and a microprocesser. This results in a pulsed AC signal with
varing freq, and duration depending on desires speed. We have several 40 ton
bridge crains at work that use this system.

Rick Pettit
58 Chevy 31