RE: [oletrucks] 348 c.i.

To: "'rock1'" <rock1@austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 348 c.i.
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:30:24 -0400
The 348 was a good "truck" engine.  The bore and stroke combination lent itself
to a slightly lower rpm operating range than it's larger high performance
sibling the 409. It was designed to produce more torque at lower rpm ranges
than the 409 and was used successfully as a mild performance motor in full
sized cars and as a hard working torque monster in heavy duty trucks. In it's
day it could out perform small block 265-283's and even the 327's in larger
cars but because of it's weight and lower rpm operating range was not a
successful performance motor in smaller cars.  Neither was the 409 for that
matter.

The overall design of the 348 is the same as the 409, there are really just
bore and stroke differences.  The 348 was also a good performer with tri-power,
a mild "street" cam and headers.  The tri-power manifolds can still be had at
swap meets and on line auctions for very reasonable prices and they will accept
the Rochester 2GC carbs (same as the GTO and practically every GM V-8 produced
from the mid 60's through the mid 70's). The tri-power setup will actually give
better gas mileage than a 4bbl providing a progressive linkage is used. The
only draw back of the 348/409 series was a tendency to drop valves at high rpm
(above 6000).  Something to be expected if you missed a shift in a street race
but not likely in normal or even heavy duty driving.

There's a lot to be said for class and when it comes to Chevy motors the
348/409 series definitely has class, however if you're looking for rompum -
stompum street intimidator performance it's probably not the way to go. The 348
was a good reliable performer and coupled with a rear end ratio in the low 3's
it will cruise right along fast enough to garner a speeding ticket in just
about any state, including Montana.

Bill Whittaker
'53 3100 Hemi
Built Like A Rock