Re: [oletrucks] Glass on an AD

To: <MKlepp4335@cs.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Glass on an AD
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:16:09 -0500
No photos on this one. It wouldnt have brightened or added to anyones day to
see this operation. There is NO doubt after doing the glass all the way
around that its best left to an auto glass shop. Just pay the money and
consider yourself ahead. I guess after doing it once and having all this
trouble, I am armed with enough information on the mistakes I made to
probably be more successful, but then again, the engineering that went into
the window glass is less than optimal.

The windshield looked like it was gonna go right in... we had the glass in
the rubber, the string around the rubber, the windshield glazing compound on
the seam.. started in like a breeze. First pane.. no problem. Second pane..
major pane. Snap!! Broke it.. off to the glass shop who would have it
finished by a week from Thursday.. but I tried to explain who I was (someone
who wants and WILL get it right now!) but of course no change in the
timeframe.. off to the local salvage yards.. nothing... so.. off to Jeff at
Bowtie Bits in Wichita. Nice guy! He wanted $50 for the glass, but was I in
the mood to complain? I dont think so. Back home.. its late and I am in no
mood for any crap.. did I break this one?

okokok.. I got it installed just fine. But I was waaaaay more careful this
time.. taking the care to make sure I pulled the string from the top and the
bottom evenly and not putting any pressure on any small area of the glass.
Even pressure and short breaths. Pictures? I dont think so.. but if its
advice ya want.. be more careful than anything you have ever done before.
Its funny.. we take the glass in our trucks as tough, hard and really not
all that easy to break. Not true at all during installation. Eggs are
tougher.

There ya have it! My $50 48 1-1/2 ton now has a $50 window pane in it and
about another $125 in rubber and used glass. I wouldnt wish that experience
on my ex. Well, then again.. ;)

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400