[oletrucks] Differential Problem

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Differential Problem
From: "Blaine & Maggie Dumkee" <bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:12:46 -0600
In August I had a C clip come off the end of my axle and the axle came out
and crossed the highway. This badly damaged the brake backing plate on the
end of the differential housing and the brakes. I have finally gathered the
parts and have this back together.

My problem now is,(and probably was when the axle came out) there seems to
be excessive play between the end of the axle and the axle shaft spacer
(this is the block that sits between the end of the two axles). I believe
that this excessive play allowed the axle to slid far enough in towards the
centre to allow the C clip to fall off. The service manual states that there
should be a maximum of .014" clearance between the end of each axle and the
axle shaft spacer. Well, my axle shaft spacer is very sloppy on the pin that
holds it in place and I probably have .080" on one side when everything is
pushed in one direction. The pin itself does not appear to be worn, but the
inside of the axle shaft spacer may be. Does anyone know how tight this pin
should fit inside of the axles shaft spacer?

I am contemplating building up the two outside sides of the axle shaft
spacer with brass or weld to take up this extra slack?  Any other
suggestions?

I am also going to try and track down a new one, but I think this will be
difficult. According to my service manual there are three different widths
(only .019" difference between the three), but my GM parts catalogue only
lists two, standard and oversize. Here are the GM parts #'s incase one of
you have a secret stock of NOS parts. Standard, 5842171, and oversize,
5842172.

Oh yeah, I sent two messages and the first one describes the differential,
with a hope someone can tell me what model,type it is.

Blaine Dumkee
Fort Smith NT
Canada
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/blaine59.jpg