Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:18:33 -0700
About the automatic choke  comment. I have to respectfully disagree. The choke
has problems, mostly because during a rebuild those who rebuild them do not
check
the choke pull offs, the little vacuum thingy with a vacuum hose attached. It is
not uncommon to have faulty vacuum motors, choke pull offs and other vacuum
operated controls. Having the vacuum hoses routed correctly and in good
condition
is important and often overlooked a lot. One of those "el cheapo" FLAPS or
Craftsman hand actuated  vacuum pump works great or even run temporally a vacuum
source from the engine to each vacuum device will test it. I guess what I am
saying is be sure everything works that came on the carb and you will fall in
love with the best ever built carb. Another thing that plagues the Q-jet are
incorrectly bent linkage rods. People love to tweak them even if they are not
meant to be bent. I have been guilty of this a time or two.
HP Books has a book on Rochester carbs. it includes the Q-Jets, Vari_jets and
the
old one barrel carbs and more. Its a good book explaining how to change jets and
metering rods and hanger to work together. And how to fix a few flaws in its
design like leaky fuel well plugs.