Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] long beds and quadrajets
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:15:21 -0600 (CST)
It's not the pressure from the water pump that will burst the core, it is
the static pressure buildup from the high temperature and the relief valve
on the radiator cap.  15 PSI will burst the OEM radiator on a 57 and may
possibly burst the heater core, especially if it is already weak from
previous failures.  The only way to find out for sure is to take the old
core out and hydro it at 30 PSI or so.  If it holds, you *should* be OK.
If it doesn't hold, well at least you found out with the core out already.

Putting a restriction in the heater line will not drop the pressure at the
core since there will be full system pressure even if flow is stopped
completely in one leg.  The only way to protect the core is to block off
both hoses completely.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN