Re: [oletrucks] O2 sensors/ Air/fuel ratio guages

To: <CLLLSLS@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] O2 sensors/ Air/fuel ratio guages
From: "R Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:32:41 -0600
Yes, as Brian indicated there are analog gauges out there (K&N, CB
Performance, Summit, and Jegs to name a few).  The signal from the O2 sensor
is 0-1.0 v and is non-linear.  850 mv is generally considered to be about
12.5:1 AF ratio as I recall - which is about optimum for performance at WOT.
If you put the O2 sensor in the collector, you should use a three-wire
sensor - this is a heated sensor allowing it to reach its proper operating
temperature - if the sensor is located close to the cylinder head you can
run the non-heated one-wire sensor.

I bought an O2 sensor and analog gauge (I don't like the LED indicators
either) to setup my q-jet carb also.  I've been told they can be pretty
erratic at idle (others say they are steady) so I don't know how well suited
it will be for adjusting the idle circuit.  My gauge didn't work correctly
and I sent it back (it would come up to 14.5-14.7 and hold for a short
period of time and then slowly work its way over to about 12:1 and just stay
there, but it didn't peg the gauge) - I have just gotten it back and not had
a chance to try it out yet.  I don't intend to run mine permanently, just
long enough to setup the carb and then I'll remove it, leaving the wiring
harness in place so I can set it up anytime I need to - so it doesn't have
to match my other gauges - just as long as its functional.

I also had bungs welded into each collector so I could check from side to
side.  I would recommend you check the plugs to verify what you are seeing
on the AFM.  Here is one of many links you'll find if you do a search on air
fuel meters or oxygen sensors:

http://www.wps.com/LPG/o2sensor.html  There is also a lot of information
from SAE.

I can't help you with the aircraft gauges - what are they reading volts,
mvolts, exhaust temp, etc?  If they read mv you could use it just like a VOM
and use a conversion table to get AF ratio, but the band must be pretty
narrow (0-1. volts) because right around the stoichiometric mix the curve is
changing slope very rapidly (it is a s-shaped lambda curve) and is very
sensitive - much easier to understand if you see a plot.  I think I still
have some good reference links at home - I'll check them tonight.

Bob Welch
Bartlesville, OK
'56 Cameo
'55 Belair