[oletrucks] Fuel pump

To: "W&D" <haist@jps.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Fuel pump
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 17:27:00 -0600
Guys,

Help.

The fuel pump in the '46 was leaking about a teaspoon per minute.  In an
effort to fix the leak, I removed the pump.  I cleaned it all and examined
everything.  The main gasket (which is also the diaphragm) was in good shape
so I put it back together with gasket compound.  It still leaks just as much
as it did before I started.  I know that it is not leaking from the
gasket/diaphragm.  It seems to be leaking from the lower half of the body.

I know that recently there was a thread of emails about this.  Does anyone
know where the leak is?  Or how I go about finding it?

Also, the truck used to start and run very reliably.  Now it fires up but dies
after two seconds.  And it's hard to restart -  the same thing happens - it
takes seven times of trying then it fires up and runs for about two seconds.
I think that this is related to the leak.  Could it be that the pump is not
delivering enough gas?  When I finally do get it started, it runs well, but it
will not restart easily again.  Ideas?  I think that ere is plenty of gas in
the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton stock