[oletrucks] testament to the quality of old iron

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] testament to the quality of old iron
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:54:37 -0600
Hi gang:

I have this 57 suburban that I found in amarillo, texas last year. it
was in storage from 69-97ish and I bought it from the 2nd owner.
I finally dragged her back to houston and had a rusted hinge pocket
fixed which basically was all she needed to make her solid again.
I hate to say it - the truck has been sitting in my driveway for the
last year waiting for a garage spot and my attention. She has the
original sand beige paint and it is very chalky/faded. I don't think
this truck has ever been waxed or detailed.
So...the other day, I was compounding a 57 chevy in the garage
and decided to go and polish a few spots on the suburban just for
kicks.
Man!  After sitting in barn storage, an amarillo driveway and my
own driveway for 43 years almost - the paint is shining up like
absolutely new - I mean it - brand new!!  A little compound and a
little wax and it's as shiny and mirrored as the day she rolled out of
the factory. A deep, dark beige (and I don't even like beige!) -
anyway, I was stoked and can't wait to finish her up after I get her
inside soon.
This is why I love these old trucks. They can take so much use
and abuse and a little TLC brings them right back. I wish everything
was made so well in life. But then, none of us would have jobs!
(haha).
So, when I am finished, I'll post some pics before and after.
I think I like beige now! ;)~
Eric Pesci