RE: [oletrucks] Gear Ratio wisdom sought

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Gear Ratio wisdom sought
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:47:55 -0500
Ryan,

I'd pick the 3.50 (or a 3.70 if one is available).

At cruise you can't really tell the difference between 2300 and 2700 RPM.
Not your ear - maybe your gas gauge can....

I've got a 72 with a big block, THM-400. Ran 3.07 in it for a long time, now
have 3.73. Big difference in initial acceleration, hardly noticeable at
cruise.  MPG never was any good anyway.

Economics aside, you won't hurt an engine to cruise at 3500 or 4000 RPM. My
1970 C-50 has a two speed rear end and the high ratio is something like
6.83.  Of course it uses 38 inch tires, but if you run 65 it tachs about
3500. Seems to go on all day like that. That said, I picked up a Brownie
manual overdrive to cut that RPM by 20%. Cut the RPM to 3200 and boost the
cruise speed to 70. With a nice set of pipes its just music.

By the way, one of my projects is a 56. Am planning to leave the original
rear end in it (if it turns out to be in working order) and use a 56 vintage
3 speed with overdrive. Probably will get a 350 as I have a couple lying
around.

What did you use for front motor mounts? I'll have the bell housing with the
mounts on it, so a wide stance on the front isn't required. Can the front of
a 350 be drilled for the old front mounts?

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com