Re: [oletrucks] Gear Ratio wisdom sought

To: Gwyn Reedy <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gear Ratio wisdom sought
From: "Edward T. Dingo" <cen36932@centuryinter.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:57:37 -0500
What did you use for front motor mounts? I'll have the bell housing with the
mounts on it, so a wide stance on the front isn't required. Can the front of
a 350 be drilled for the old front mounts?

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> I'd pick the 3.50 (or a 3.70 if one is available).
>
> At cruise you can't really tell the difference between 2300 and 2700 RPM.
> Not your ear - maybe your gas gauge can....
>
> I've got a 72 with a big block, THM-400. Ran 3.07 in it for a long time, now
> have 3.73. Big difference in initial acceleration, hardly noticeable at
> cruise.  MPG never was any good anyway.
>
> Economics aside, you won't hurt an engine to cruise at 3500 or 4000 RPM. My
> 1970 C-50 has a two speed rear end and the high ratio is something like
> 6.83.  Of course it uses 38 inch tires, but if you run 65 it tachs about
> 3500. Seems to go on all day like that. That said, I picked up a Brownie
> manual overdrive to cut that RPM by 20%. Cut the RPM to 3200 and boost the
> cruise speed to 70. With a nice set of pipes its just music.
>
> By the way, one of my projects is a 56. Am planning to leave the original
> rear end in it (if it turns out to be in working order) and use a 56 vintage
> 3 speed with overdrive. Probably will get a 350 as I have a couple lying
> around.
>
> What did you use for front motor mounts? I'll have the bell housing with the
> mounts on it, so a wide stance on the front isn't required. Can the front of
> a 350 be drilled for the old front mounts?

Chevy engineers, in their wisdom, left the 2 bolt holes on each side of timing
cover intact, and tapped (in the majority of blocks) to facilitate installing
newer small blocks into chassis' that contained the original 265 V-8. Early
front mounts will work but engine is suspended at each end. I've been told to
use early mounts AND side mounts (using universal crossmember). Early mounts to
use primarily as locator, using orig frame holes. Side mounts to anchor engine
at total of 4 points. And it makes tranny removal much easier too with engine
held in place at 4 points. imho.

Ed in Mich.
'57 3100