Re: [oletrucks] welding question

To: "Ole' Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] welding question
From: "Michael and Stephany Zaic" <mzaic@athens.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:44:06 -0500
        Thanks to all for the responses concerning the gas regulator setting.  I
sent the same basic question to Lincoln via their web site the evening
before I posted to the list, and still am awaiting a reply.  I should know,
just ask the folks on the list!
        I started with a setting around 20 Scfh (? cubic feet/hour) or about 10
L/min. and backed off until the weld went ugly.  Then brought it back up to
about 15 Scfh, which seems to work pretty well.  I'm welding inside with
relatively still air.  The weather outside is pretty inhospitable to any
type of truck work.
        As for gas mixture, this one is a little on the expensive side.  I chose
it because it was highly recommended by list members in previous
discussions and by several other sources for work on thin sheet metal.  My
welding skills are less than ideal and I need all the help I can get.
        The difference between using flux core wire and solid wire/gas is like
night and day.  I've been trying to do repairs for the past year or so
using .035 flux core wire.  The damage from burn through was as bad or
worse than what I was initially trying to repair, even with minimal spot
welds and low power setting.
        On a side note: I've been using a flapper grinding disk from Eastwood on
my angle grinder to smooth out the welds.  It does an excellent job of
finishing the weld and blending it in with the surrounding surface.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Michael Zaic
Lawrenceville, GA