Re: [oletrucks] slipping outta gear

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] slipping outta gear
From: "Ron Keller" <tinwiz1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 00:53:22
Hi Mike!
   Your's is a common problem.
   If you have a column shifter,as I did, it may be as easy as re-aligning
the shift linkage ...(also aftermarket floor shifters too)
...BUT if it's a top loader, say from a one ton , your guess is as good as
mine. But, If the linkage adjustments don't do it, then I'd be looking at
the synchros in the tranny...in short,a rebuild!

***Synchros***
...can be easily checked by accelerating in each gear and then instead of
shifting, back off on the gas and let the vehicle slow right to nothing...if
it pops out of gear each time you decelerate, then the synchro for that gear
needs replacing. BUT, you make sure your linkage is fine FIRST....
  Also, if your tranny kind of catches each time you change gears(ie: slight
grinding or click) but YOU KNOW your clutch adjusment is fine, then your
synchros need attention. (Drive an old model A ford and you'll know what "no
synchro" driving is like!...lol!)
  "Double clutching" can help you avoid the embarassment but it's only a
bandaid not a cure. Before you take the tranny out for synchros check the
shifter alignment as follows.

***shifter linkage adjustment on a column shifter***
  1/ To do that...get under the truck and remove the cotter pins in the
shift rods at "the tranny end".
  2/ Take ALL the shifter rods out of the arms "on the tranny" and let them
hang there.
  3/ Now,manually shift the tranny into first gear.
  4/ Get a friend to sit in the truck "while your underneath" and have him
shift the "column shifter" into first gear. (remember it's not hooked up to
the tranny yet)
  5/ Now, while your underneath the vehicle, you try to place the  first
gear shifter rod back into the hole in the first gear tranny arm. It should
fit "PERFECTLY" into the tranny arm hole, without having to move the tranny
arm. IF it doesn't...you have to ADJUST the column shifter "rod"" until it
fits in the hole of the tranny arm.
  6/ Do the same for each gear.
   Basically what your doing is putting the tranny ALL THE WAY in gear
MANUALLY, then seeing if the shifter actually moves each arm ALL THE WAY
into gear. A lot of the time you may not actually be right "in" gear, thus
your tranny pops out of gear on rough roads or sudden bumps. The worst case
is you'll need to replace syncros...but let's hope it's just you linkage
adjustment,ok?
  I hope this is of some help to all who suffer from "jumpin'trannies"!
Bye for now, Ron Keller