RE: [oletrucks] Fuel Gauge Question

To: "'Mikerross@aol.com'" <Mikerross@aol.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Fuel Gauge Question
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:28:48 -0600
Quick troubleshooting of constant Empty reading:

        1.  Remove the wire from the gas tank sending unit.
        2.  Turn on the key.
        3.  If the gauge now reads Full go to step 99.
        4.  Turn off the key.
        5.  Replace the wire removed in step 1.
        6.  Remove the wire that goes to the tank from
                the back of the gauge. (Sorry, I don't
              know what color it is on a Chevy).
        7.  Turn on the key.
        8.  If the gauge now reads Full go to step 20.
        9.  Turn off the key.
        10. The gauge is defective.  Replace it and all
                should be well.

        20. Turn off the key.
        21. There is a short to ground of the wire between
                the gauge and the tank.  Either find and fix
                the short or it may be easier to completely
                replace this wire with a new one.

        30. Turn off the key.
        31. Either the sending unit in the tank is shorted or
                the float in the tank has sunk.  Either way you
                will have to remove the sending unit to fix it.
                Stock sending units read about 30 ohms full and
                almost zero ohms empty.