[oletrucks] Buddy misbehavin'

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Buddy misbehavin'
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:33:17 -0600
Guys,

Again thanks for all the help.

I did a compression test and found that all of the cylinders were about 100
pounds except for No. 4 which was about 50.  I am going to take the head off,
get it rotted out, and then have the valves redone on No. 4 only.

Does this sound like a good plan?

With this fix, I am hoping to start going the other way and start putting
things back together with a heat riser that works, a valve job that should
give the cylinders about the same compression, a rebuilt fuel pump, a rebuilt
carb,  . . . geesh this should work, yes?  If not I'll ask again and do more
to get Buddy behavin'.

With a babbit bearing non-pressurized oil system, does it make sense to use an
oil additive to increase lubrication.  Anzoil, or the Teflon products, or some
other snake oil?

As a post script, I am having a ball doing most of the work myself.

 Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton stock
1948 Chevrolet 3100, soon to be deluxe
Austin, Texas