RE: [oletrucks] Painting Questions

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Painting Questions
From: "Gene Merritt" <merrittgene@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:37:59 -0600
I've always been confused by this same question.  I've been told that enamel
can cover anything, but lacquer can only cover lacquer due to orange-peel
defects.  Is this true for all cases, or only when the base coats are
relatively new?

What if I don't know what kind of paint is on the truck already, does that
mean I'm forced to use enamel?

Also, whenever I've done enamel, I get a subtle washboard/ripple surface
that is visible when trying to see a reflection in the gloss.  Is this an
attribute of enamel (unavoidable) or just poor workmanship?  I feel that I
should learn to use lacquer just to avoid this problem.

What does everyone suggest for the home painter who wants a good looking
surface?