Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:49:46 EST
Very interesting; many of the new vehicles now spec the wide viscosity
(5w-30, etc.) oils. . .for example the Corvettes.   What are they doing that
is not appropriate for the old trucks?  Bearing clearances or materials
maybe?  How do change intervals and synthetics play into this as well as you
imply that the shear forces are at issue right out of the can and not as a
result of breakdown with time/heat/contamination?  Which This Old Truck issue
was this?  What does SAE have publised on this?

I run synthetics in the Jeep and the vette but change more often than
required,  just run whatever in the 86 Silverado with 210K  miles on it since
it burns/leaks oil, and was planning on running synthetic in the Sub after
the engine is broken in. . .so this is an important topic.  Thanks for
addressing it.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban 2wd V8 3speed w/OD
59 GMC Suburban V8/Hydramatic looking for a 1/2 ton NAPCO kit