RE: [oletrucks] Cafe and the environment - rant and LONG

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Cafe and the environment - rant and LONG
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:05:03 -0600
What everyone seems to forget when they are talking about straight
electric cars is that electricity doesn't just magically come out
of a hole in the wall.  It has to be manufactured too.  It is usually
manufactured in either a nuclear plant or by burning plain old coal.

There are no more rivers to dam up and the environmentalists don't
like dams anyways.  There will be no more nuclear plants built.
If all the natural gas plants proposed are built, they will triple
the natural gas consumption in the country.  Same for oil.  Wind
power can't begin to make a significant contribution to energy needs.
A large wind station with multiple generators might make 10 megawatts,
and the peak consumption in California alone is around 30,000 megawatts.
That leaves coal.  Who wants a coal fired power plant in their
back yard?  Somebody's going to get one.

If you think California has problems now with electricity, try adding
on the load of millions of electric cars all starting their charge
cycle at the same time.

This topic is getting way off old trucks.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN