[oletrucks] Truck Questions

To: porkchopzz4@netzero.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Truck Questions
From: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:56:00 EST
Hi Justin,
I live in Ringgold, Ga. I used to live in Calhoun, Ga. and grew up in
Fairmount, Ga.  I have had two of the AD (Advanced Design, 1947-1955 1st)
Trucks From what you described, you might look at your current project as a
"parts" truck.  I bought my last truck ( a 47 2nd series) for $1,800 and
drove it home.  It was in great condition and came from Calhoun.  I see alot
of them around when I am down there.  The reasons I say that you might want
to use yours as a parts truck is: 1) you have a LARGE chevy, anything over
3/4 ton is difficult to get parts for.  (3/4 ton is difficult in it's self).
 2) Your LARGE truck will never go very fast safely unless you do alot of
modifications.  This is not a problem if you don't mind having a SLOW truck.
(my '47 1/2 ton had an original drive train and wouldn't go over 55 - 60 mph
and at that speed it could be interesting to stop.... it had a 4.11 gear
ratio in the rear)  Your LARGE truck will have a 5.00-6.00 ratio in the rear
and will probably sound like it is going to explode when you get to the 40 -
45 mph range.  Also, you will spend just as much time fixing the floor, and
body - only to have a truck that isn't worth as much when you have put all
that time and effort (as well as $) as a 1/2 of even a 3/4 ton would be.

If you can live with scarecity of parts and the final slowness of the truck
when you get finished, I say go for it! (anything to keep old iron on the
road!)  My advice is to look around! see all that there is to see at OLD CAR
CITY in cartersville (the guy has hard hours to fit into a schedule), but he
HAD alot of old trucks about 3 yrs ago.

Take care and let me know what you decide, I wouldn't mind seeing the Beast
one day when I am in Fairmount.

Casey M
Ringgold, Ga.