[oletrucks] The Great Heater Core Massacre

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] The Great Heater Core Massacre
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:54:15 -0500
Well, I've been having great luck with my truck for quite a while......so I
guess it was time for something to go wrong.  Yesterday, I decided I'd
replace the old heater hose.  Took the old hoses off, got new hose from NAPA
and put it on with little trouble.  When I looked in the cab, anti-freeze
was pouring out of the bottom of the heater .......*&^%$# (very strong
expletive deleted).  Guess I broke something loose in the heater while
replacing the hoses.  I've tried to find "heater core" info in the archives,
but the archives are down and I can't get to them.  I'd sure appreciate some
help with this.

1.  Does this mean my heater core is gone?
2.  How do I check it out.....take the front of the heater off?
3.  How do I get the heater apart?
4.  What do I look for to tell me if my heater is a total loss?
5.  If I need a new heater core, where's the best place to get one?   Cost??
6.  Right now, I have a piece of heater hose looped from the two places
where the original hose was connected to the engine.  (Took the two heater
hoses off the engine and put on a "U" shaped piece of hose.)  Can I drive
the truck OK with this set-up?

I'd sure appreciate any info you folks can offer!
Tom Caperton
47-2nd 3100....in Whiteville, NC
tcape@weblnk.net