[oletrucks] 1 Ton Questions (Also: Mystery Truck Revealed!)

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1 Ton Questions (Also: Mystery Truck Revealed!)
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:32:31 -0500
Hi all!

Thanks for the input on the mystery truck.  I still couldn't seem to get a
consensus on it either being a 3/4 or a 1 ton, but I just got my Chevy Duty
catalog this morning and it says that "JS" in the VIN denotes a 1 ton.  So I
finally know for sure.  Which brings up some questions:

1. I notice that many parts (brakes, rear end, suspension, etc.) are
different for 1 ton.  But what about body panels, fenders, etc.?
Specifically all the patch panels, cab corners, etc.  Also, is there any one
good source for 1 ton parts?

2. I have one door (passenger side) with the correct vent window but the
driver's side door appears to be from a '47 to '50 b/c there is no vent
window.  Is it possible to convert this side to a vent window or do I need a
whole door?  If I need a whole door, anyone need a '47 to '50 door and have
a vent window style door to trade?  I'm near Atlanta.

3. There is no number emblem on the driver's side of the hood below the
CHEVROLET emblem and there does not seem to be any holes for it looking from
the back side.  Would this be a replacement hood or did 1 tons not have
model # emblems?  Is a '51 still called a 3800 for the 1 tons?

4. Where can I look to find out if this is the original motor?  If it is, I
will probably go with a mostly original restoration.  If it is a replacement
motor, I might consider a V-8 conversion.  Does anyone have a book to look
up the numbers if I send them?

Thanks for the help!  This is a fantastic list.  Keep the welding tips
coming... I'm going to start practicting on some scrap sheet metal soon. =)

-Justin Earl
'51 Chevy 1 ton dually