[oletrucks] OVERDRIVE/MILEAGE/ECONOMY?

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] OVERDRIVE/MILEAGE/ECONOMY?
From: "Don Slaney" <ppm@dlcwest.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:28:13 -0600
Off Topic! But?
I'm at a loss to a problem I have, not serious, but even General Motors
Canada does not have an answer. But I bet someone on here has one?

I have a vehicle to haul ole trucks home, [ONLY GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCTS]
a 1986 American Chevrolet Caprice wagon.

It has a Fuel economy {vacuum guage} in dash.

When driving on a straight flat highway, in overdrive, it reads just above
1/3 toward the best fuel economy.

When I pull shift lever to ordinary drive, the economy increases by 50% the
needle closes in on maximum economy. Which suggests I am getting better
mileage in ordinary drive than overdrive.

This happens when tow-baring an ole girl home to the collection or plain
highway driving. It has almost 400,000 KMS or 248,560 miles. Motor never
touched, except plugs and a fuel pump. Uses no oil and power to burn.

Any all suggestions, ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards to all, Don.    ppm@dlcwest.com