Re: [oletrucks] rewiring: was...electrical harness

To: "Schorn, Tim" <SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rewiring: was...electrical harness
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:11:14 -0500
Tim, think you will need to use crimp type connector and solder it after
words. You can "tin" the wire and use acid flux paste to pull solder into
joint better. 100 amp is small for bigger wires, may take longer to hold it
on and get good heat. Use Rosin core solder from electrical supplier (radio
shack) or most hardware's have it. I don't like the non-lead or silver
solder, takes too much heat to run and gets "globby" w/out penetrating into
wire. Crimp connectors w/out the plastic are best for this, make sure they
dont touch bare metal that their not supposed too. You can put a sleeve of
"shrink" tube on where wire is soldered to insulate. Have to put it on wire
first and slide back till soldering is finished. Sometimes if the wire isn't
copper and is steel it won't solder at all. I have run into this on original
vehicle wiring, never found that type in stores. Not sure why this is used.