Re: [oletrucks] Overcharge

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Overcharge
From: Barrett Revis <snappydog@jackass.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:03:12 -0800
Both my '51 pickup and my ''53 'burb had that same problem back in
the 70's and early 80's; the contacts in the voltage regulators would
stick.  I'd just pull over, pop the hood, and whack the voltage
regulator with an empty 16 oz RC Cola deposit bottle to unstick it (I
suppose you could use something else, that was just what I had handy
at the time).  I did that for years.  It always amused my passengers,
but this time around I replaced my generator/voltage regulator setup
with a self regulating alternator for just this reason.
Leave the engine running while you give it a firm whack, don't hit it
hard enough to dent it or anything.
Another alternative would be to pull apart the voltage regulator and
clean and re-gap the contacts.

-- Barrett Revis, snappydog@jackass.net on 03/29/2001