Re: [oletrucks] Steering Mechanism

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering Mechanism
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:36:50 -0500
Many thanks to Joe and Terry for the immediate response to my question.  I
checked with another chevy dealer, now that I know what to ask for, and
found that the new rag-joint costs over $80.  I've drilled out the rivets
as Joe suggests below, but what I really need is the odd-shaped metal plate
that goes with the rag-joint.  Without this plate the rag-joint just rips
when you turn the steering wheel.  Perhaps I can make a temporary
replacement from a large metal washer - certainly better for my intended
short-term use than an $80 replacement.

This really is a great group of people.  Ask a question, go to lunch, come
back and have the answer.  THANKS.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (project)
89 F150
98 RAM (hers)
99 HD Sportster
Arnaudville, LA

                    "joe"

                    <chevy1@jps.n        To:     "Bobby D Keeland"
<bob_keeland@usgs.gov>,
                    et>                  <oletrucks@autox.team.net>

                                         cc:

                    04/05/01             Subject:     Re: [oletrucks] Steering
Mechanism
                    12:45 PM

Yep that's the "Rag Joint"!  You can just drill out the rivets that held
the
old rag joint on and install the new rag joint and put it back together
again.  The rag joint does what you indicated "reduces road vibration up to
the steering wheel" and the metal pins that contact the metal sleeve
attached to the shaft transmit the turning force.

Joe