[oletrucks] Ignition Timing

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Ignition Timing
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:43:57 -0400
Hey All

Have been reading the E-mails with interest regarding the Jetting and also
questions about timing.  Here is what the book, Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual
1948-1951 with 1952 Supplement, says:

Engine Assembly Section 6-19 Tune up - Ignition Timing

1.  Set the octane selector at "0" on the scale and attach a timing light to
the No.1 spark plug and a good ground.   Start the engine and run it at
idling speed with light aimed at flywheel housing opening.

2.  Loosen distributor clamp and rotate distributor body clockwise or
counterclockwise until the steel ball in the flywheel lines up with the
pointer on the flywheel housing.

3.  Tighten distributor clamp screw and remove timing light.

NOTE:  The standard point setting is .018".  When new points are installed,
adjust points to .022" as the cam follower will wear down slightly while
seating to the cam.  According to my Motors Truck Repair Manual the dwell
angle should be 31-37 degrees.  I set mine to 33 degrees and find that the
engine runs really well.  If you check the points once the dwell is set they
fall into the specified gap range.

Spark plug gap should be .035"

Hope this helps

Mac