[oletrucks] Complete block/head numbers... what do i have?

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Complete block/head numbers... what do i have?
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 05:26:46 -0400
Hi again!

Okay, I think I have all the info off the block and head now:

BLOCK: 3769716, casting date: I 25 1, plus it has CON40 to the left of the
casting date

HEAD: 3836848, casting date: L 3 9, plus CON12 on the other end of the head
from the casting date. (also has the 18 bolts and the 4 bolt valve cover, so
I think we have this pegged as a 235 head)

The bore on the block appears to be 3 1/2 inch using a tape measure.  So
that'd be a 216, right?

But the head is a 235.... would these two mate up okay?  Or am I
mis-measuring the bore and the block is really a 235?

As far as the casting date(s) go, what are the clues I need to look for to
be sure which DECADE these are from?  Is this maybe the original '51 216
block with a replacement head from a '59 235?

If it helps at all, the carb is a Carter YF.

Thanks for the help!

(BTW, is there a website to look up these numbers?)

-Justin Earl
'51 Chevy 3800 dually