Re: [oletrucks] front tire wear

To: <237459N@knotes.kodak.com>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front tire wear
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:16:02 -0500
The camber (tilt of wheel) can't be changed that I know of as the kingpins
don't adjust. You may be able to have a truck alignment shop bend the axle
beam as the do on Ford twin I-beams. Caster can be changed with tapered
shims at spring mounting pads. I believe you want the "toe-in" to be
adjusted. It's done by loosening both tie rod ends and turning center
section to lengthen or shorten. This is about the only adjustment that
should be needed on this set-up. If the toe-in is too much it will wear on
outside of tires. Exagerated they would be like the fronts of tires/wheels
pointing towards each other some and "plowing" the road as you drive.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN
54 Chevy 2-ton (driver)
50 Chevy COE (project)