Re: [oletrucks] Monojet Electric Choke

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Monojet Electric Choke
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:35:33 -0400
Rob.
The electric part is replaceable. try your local FLAPS or chevy dealer.

Before you do though, test the one you have. Be sure its getting power.
Then be sure it's heating up. After the ignition has been on for a
couple minutes quickly touch the plastic by the wire plug it should be
HOT! Don't burn yourself. If it is cool it is not heating. If it is warm
it may not be heating enough.

If it is not heating take the plastic housing off and be sure no one has
put a gasket between it and the metal housing on the carb. This is a
common problem, the gaskets are included in carb kits for the older
models and some people figure it should go there. It keeps the element
from grounding. Also check to see if the metal is clean.

if it is warm check the voltage on the wire after the key has been on
for a few minutes WITH THE WIRE HOOKED TO THE CHOKE. If much less than
12 volts check where the wire is coming from. I have seen people hook
these up to ignition power at the distributor AFTER the ballast
resistor, this cuts down on the voltage. If voltage is low I'd run a
wire to a known switched power source.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL