Re: [oletrucks] GMC 228 head

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, dshier@rmi.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC 228 head
From: "J.O. Williams" <jow@techbase.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:44:26 -0600 (MDT)
> It looks like the 228 GMC head I need to repalce has numbers on the top
> side like E 48  and  further down the head 2136477AL  if I am reading
> them correctly.  We are interested in replacing this head which has a
> fair crack in it and we are located in Southern Colorado.
>
> Any assistance is appreciated.

Good luck.  In 1975 I tried to replace a cracked 228 head.  I was at the
time, living in northern Idaho.  I searched all over the west looking for
a good head, one from Denver.  The two that were sent me were cracked
when they were fluxed.  I sent them back and got my money back.  My
head was cracked back in the exhaust ports to the extend you could hear
drips as they hit the hot surfaces.  I ended up using a can of block
sealer to seal the cracks.  In the early '80's I did it again and the
sealer is still holding.  If the crack is back in the exhaust port try
to live with it.  If the head is cracked somewhere else .....

I'm still running the head in my '51 GMC and it is fine.  Compression
is up in the 80 pound range with all the cylinders within 5 pounds.

The head was a poor design by GM because the exhaust ports crack back
into the cooling channels.  I'm bet after 50 years 90 percent of all
the GMC's with the 228 head have cracks in the exhaust ports.

J.O. Williams
Littleton, CO
'51 GMC 5 window