Re: [oletrucks] Windshields

To: "Mark A. Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Windshields
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:00:00 -0700
Wow that's a deal !!!!  I paid $135.51 just for my side door glass.  I even
made my own patterns "I have a chopped top" and took them with me so he
could cut me one sample of untempered  laminate glass so I could check the
fit and install my power windows.  I paid $30.00 just for the sample glass.

Funny thing happened when I handed him the patterns, he said what kind of
truck has windows this size?  I said a Pearl White 1950 1/2 ton Chevy with a
chopped top.   He say come over here to look at some side windows I just cut
for a chopped 1951 Merc and proceeded to place my patterns over the glass
and mine were smaller which really made him chuckle.  Turns out I know the
guy who's building the Merc and the glass guy said..." I'll be sure to rub
it in that your truck is chopped more than his Merc when he comes to pick up
the glass"!

I had my sample in 20 minutes and rushed home to check the fit and install
my power windows.  Everything fit fine so I went back the next day and
selected a gray tint glass to match my rear window and for some reason had
to talk the guy into sending them off to be tempered?  My friend owns his
own glass shop but was out of town on vacation so he recommended this guy.
He warned me about this guy not wanting to send the glass out but my friend
told me not to leave without having that glass tempered as it's twice as
strong as regular glass and that is  what he had done for my windshield and
back glass.  I ended up paying $62.95 for the tempering alone.

So for a grand total of $165.51 I finally was able to install side windows
and the power windows that I kick around the house for 7 years.

I'm finally going to have the opportunity to crank up the a/c when I head to
my next cruise night......I can't wait.  I won't even tell you what it cost
for my front and back glass.

Joe