Re: [oletrucks] Rough running 53 216 3100

To: "Dick Byrne" <lindalnhvt@sugar-river.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rough running 53 216 3100
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:41:59 -0700
Hey,

I would go after this one in this order.

1.  Take a sample of gas in a clear glass container from where the fuel
enters the carburetor or leaves the fuel pump.  See if theirs water in the
gas.

2.  Check for Vacuum leaks.  I use either  a propane bottle with a rubber
hose or just spray some WD-40 .  I check around the ports where the intake
manifold bolts to the head and where the carburetor bolts to the intake.
With the engine running, if their is a leak the added fuel from the propane
will raise the idle and smooth it our.....Same thing with the WD-40.

3.  Really check that distributor cap for a hair line crack.  Since you've
already replaced everything else you might as well go for the cap and rotor.

4.  Recheck the timing because changing the point gap changes the timing!

Do you have a filter between the carburetor and fuel pump or at least
between the tank and pump?  With the trucks or cars sitting all winter the
rust particles settle and start to travel on those first few outings and
really plug stuff up.  You may have something already in the jet?

Joe