RE: [oletrucks] Grille on '50

To: RobertHeil@hellausa.com
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Grille on '50
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:09:13
Bob,

The latest Jim Carter 1947-1955 first catalog, page 6, titled 'For the
Perfectionist' reads, "Shortages during the Korean War are the primary
reason for the eliminating of bright work on the 1952 and 1953 truck.
Therefore, painted items on these trucks included: hub caps, bumpers,
grille, radio speaker horizontal trim, glovebox door, etc.  Interior window
cranks and wiper knobs changed to maroon plastic."  One can only wonder why
the hood emblem was changed to stainless steel during 1953.

Also the chrome grill was an option for all other years and not standard.
If ya didn't want to pay the extra bucks for chrome then ya got a painted
grill.

Once I thought that I made a mistake but it turned out that I was wrong!
(Just kidding!) Please don't flame me for that last sentence.

>Chrome or no Chrome?  My understanding is that all grilles were painted in
>model year 1951 only, and chrome grilles were a standard option for all
>other model years.  The quality of the plating was very poor in '52 & '53
>due to the reduced nickel content in the process.  Nickel was critical in
>the production of artillery shells.
>
>Bob Heil
>'51 3600 in pieces

Durwood