[oletrucks] small block V8 with stock steering box??

Subject: [oletrucks] small block V8 with stock steering box??
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 15:57:19 -0600
Hi all,

I have been going through the archives for information on the use of the
stock steering column/box and a small block Chev.  One source states
that the steering box has to be moved over to the left 1/2 inch while
another source says that the steering box has to go over 1 1/2 inches in
order to provide enough clearance for the exhaust manifold.  Which is
it??

As well I would like to know whether other people out there have set the
box over on a bit of an angle so that the column ends up in the right
spot between the instrument holes?

I would appreciate hearing from others out there who have this setup:
smc 305 V8 with TH 350 transmission.  I am running the stock beam axle
with the disc brake conversion.   I have a set of the bolt in "saddle"
mounts for the engine and the transmission.  I also have a rams horn
exhaust manifold with the exhaust outlet angled forward.  I was told by
the guy who gave it to me that this also help clear the steering box.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gordon Wilhelm

Calgary, Alberta
1951 GMC 5 window 1/2 ton