[oletrucks] Gripes about LMC

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Gripes about LMC
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 04:46:17 -0400
I just got my first ever LMC catalog.  As I'm looking through it, I keep
feeling like the format is strangely familiar.  Then I realize... this is
the same company as Victoria British.  And Victoria British is where I would
try to buy small parts for my MGB from their diagrams and very carefully
match up the part numbers and then place an order and then receive a box
full of nothing like what I ordered.  So, as I look through their truck
catalog, I'm not-so-fondly remembering those experiences.

Then I check the sheet metal parts section.  Patch panels will be my first
purchase for the truck (since it needs every single one offered and a few
that aren't) so this is where I go first in every catalog I receive.  I was
shocked.  They're prices are astronomical.  A toeboard is $279!  The most
expensive one I've seen elsewhere is around $140.  All of their other
sheetmetal is considerably more than any other mail order company I have
catalogs for.  Then I notice near the front of their catalog how they brag
that their purchasing power allows them to offer the best prices around.

Am I missing something here? I notice several people on the list mentioning
purchases they've made at LMC. That was why I sought their catalog out.  But
why the insanely high prices? Are there only certain products that they have
a good deal on?  Is their sheet metal really that much better than everyone
else's?  Should I just chuck this catalog into the trash?

Thanks for your input. =)

-Justin Earl
'51 Chevy 1 ton dually (in more and more pieces each day)
Cartersville, GA