[oletrucks] Killer 51GMC status

To: "Oletrucks (E-mail)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Killer 51GMC status
From: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:28:06 -0400
OK people,
I just found that rarer than hen's teeth transmission I was looking for..
41-54 Packard 3 speed. I have a Weber adapter to a 425 Nailhead. Seams this
was a go-fast combo in the late 50's early 60's, it's similar to using a
Cad/La-salle box ("Boxes with beef" Hot Rod mar. 61). Anyway the guy I got
it from said any gear less than 3:90 is a waist I should be running 4:11 or
so (4:09 was a stock Packard rear). So the question is with a 4:11 rear
gear, what cam should I be looking for? I would like a pretty lumpy street
cam. Carb to start with while I finish up the fuel injection design (getting
close, anyone for a multi-port Nailhead???)......
I also need to figure out the shifting
as it was a column shift now its going to be a floor shifter. Ansen made a
shifter way back when, but I can't find anyone who remembers how they were
setup.

This is going to be on wild truck! The jag suspension drops the whole rig at
least 5" all the way around, I think I'll have to trim the bottom of the
fenders (bob) to clear the ground! The design I've come up with for the
front of the GMC will require a wedge cut of the hood and front fenders.
She's a little too fat up front for the look I'm after. "E" class Mercedes
head lamps later model GMC oval grill shell, roll pan/bumper. Depending on
how the hood brings down the "fatness" I may or may not section the body.

Before you people freak out about cutting up the truck... it's a collection
of cast off parts including the cab(s) fenders and such. The cab(s) are
severely rotted as are the fenders, the frame has a small section with
"thinning" type rot, and it had no motor. Pretty much a basket case's basket
case.
I haven't quite figured out the bed. I have a few thoughts; 1. integrate the
"bed" with the body sort of like the suburban body shape; 2. Later 1999 and
up step bed (like those better than the 94 up style); 3. Custom stock like
box (one piece bend main side and floor) with customized fenders although I
don't have any fenders.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Jon P