RE: [oletrucks] woops - I sanded the windshield glass

To: "Old-Chevy-Truck \(E-mail\)" <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] woops - I sanded the windshield glass
From: "Mike " <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:22:44 -0700
----- Original Message -----

From: Jim House

To: Oletrucks \(E-mail\) ;Old-Chevy-Truck
\(E-mail\)

Sent: 6/5/01 2:36:05 PM

Subject: [oletrucks] woops - I sanded the
windshield glass

Well in another famous what can I do in an hour - I decided to sand
and

paint the crank out windshield in the 46.  I did not mask off or
tape - just

fired up the sander and went after the rusty medal.  Well not
thinking the

spinning pad touched the glass (in 2 spots) and now the glass has a
few

scratches in it.  I was using 150 grit paper.  Before I
go to far, it was

masked primed then painted and came out great.  On the down side
the paint

faded from last year, so maybe I need to repaint the whole thing (another
5

cans or Rustoloum).  This is all just a temp cover until I can do
it

correctly (est. 2003).

Back to the question.  Is there a rubbing compound or something I
can use to

get the scratches out of the glass?  Once again I am learning on
the job.

Thanks,

NHJim

  Jim,

  There are somethings available...my neghbor used to have a
"windshield repair kit" he got from JC Whitney, he used to take a few trips a
year to Wyoming (from Ca.) and his windshield would get sand blasted along the
way.

  He'd come home home and spend a hour or so buffing the windshield
with this stuff, and I'll be darned if the pits were gone, in the spots
where he spent a lot of time on them, you could see a little haze, but it sure
was better than what he started off with.

--- Mike

--- passnb4u@earthlink.net