Re: [oletrucks] 60s chev rearend -a I wonder

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 60s chev rearend -a I wonder
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:28:43 -0700
> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:08:19 -0400
> From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 60s chev rearend -a I wonder
>
> This happens all the time. I have found it on several rear ends that I have
> taken apart for the race car. I think someone has either broken it taking
> it out or replacing it. It usually breaks right after the threaded part.
> You can get the lock pin out by using a very thin rod magnet or magnetized
> screwdriver. If the rear end is out you can stand it up on one axle and the
> pin end should drop out. I see no problem with it being broken and left in
> place as the threaded part holds it in place. And the small (lock) pin will
> hold the main (spider gear pinion shaft) in the spider gears. As long as
> everything else is tight I would not suspect any vibration caused it. But
> you can look at the pinion shaft pin and see if there is any wear marks or
> scored areas where the spider gears rotate.
> Rogerg

Roger--

I've seen this several times also, I think it's caused by the big pin
moving around too much, stressing the bolt too many times until it
breaks.

Sometimes they can be a real bear to get out, but the magnet trick
sometimes works, or if the bolt is broken at the threads, and there is a
bit of thread remaining on the inner part, you can sometimes use a
scribe to unscrew it, then pull it out.

I've seen where folks have torched into the carrier to remove the pin!
not good.

Jim F
59s in AZ