RE: [oletrucks] Difficulty with rear oil seals

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, "Mike the Langman" <langman10@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Difficulty with rear oil seals
From: "Mike " <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 9:50:54 -0700
----- Original Message -----

From: Mike the
Langman

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net

Sent: 6/6/01 9:14:49 AM

Subject: [oletrucks] Difficulty with rear
oil seals

I'm getting very frustrated!

I am installing new rear axle oil seals (PN CR18965) on my 1/2 ton Chevy

(the previous ones, original I believe, soaked my brakes in 1/8 in of
gunk.)

  Well, this is a mother of a tight fit, at least for
me.  I've already

destroyed a couple attempting to get them in the housing.  TIP:
Don't follow

what the original owners manual says by applying Permatex to the OD of the

oil seal!  I believe the new repos come with a type of seal
already, and

with so little room to spare the Permatex was just too
much.  I've worked

very hard and carefully (believe me, at $20 a pop, these aren't something

just blow off.)  I try to start them by tapping around the edges,
then once

they are centered and started, I can use a PVC section and drive them in,
at

least that's the way the wheel bearings went on.  I've even tried
heating

the axle housing and chilling the seals.  I don't want to just
keep

destroying more.

Is there a step/trip I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

Mike Am

58 Chevy Stepside

  Have you inspected the housing where the seal seat?  Could be
rough, rusted, ets, causing the seals to distort on the way in.

 Never changed them in the original housings, but have many times
before in other housings.  I've only put sealant on the outer part of the
metal, then tapped them in with a brass drift punch...never a problem.

  You may try finding a piece of pipe that is the same OD diameter of
the seal, and tap it in with the force being applied to the seal evenly.

  You are only tapping on the outer most edge of the seal?

--- Mike

--- passnb4u@earthlink.net