Re: [oletrucks] Need help for newer chevy truck

To: Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Need help for newer chevy truck
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:17:47 -0400
Most parts houses sells a kit for doing the upgrade. I believe you'll need
a new evaporator, the kit has all the o rings you'll need for replacement.
You'll have to evacuate (properly now) the old refrigerant from the system,
but since your compressor locked up you of course need a new compressor.
Which should come R134a compatable. I did this conversion on my blazer and
had no problems. After everything all mounted back--you have to vacuum the
system down with a vacuum pump...let it run a good while to evacuate all
the air in the lines. The r134a has different connections for adding
freon-which comes with the kit as well..   -wayne

At 12:01 AM 7/17/01 -0700, Byron Schluter wrote:
>Hey all ole truckers,
>
>I was reading a posting about Vintage Air and it got
>me to thinking, there are a lot of very knowledgeable
>folks on the list that might have an answer to my
>question.
>
>I own a 1984 Chevy Silverado 3/4ton with all the bells
>and whistles.  The air conditioning compressor just
>seized up last week(original unit).  The system has
>never been upgraded to use R134A.  What I'm trying to
>find out is what is required to update my system for
>the new refrigerent.  I recently moved from Spokane WA
>to Petaluma CA.  We've had an unusually warm early
>summer so far and of course the a.c. went out on one
>of the hottest days we've had.  I would like to get
>the system working again.  Besides replacing the
>compressor what other components need to be upgraded
>or replaced.  Any information would be helpful.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Byron Schluter
>1984 Silverado
>Hope to be owner of 47-54 Chevy/GMC(soon?)
>Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
>http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup
LaGrange Ga.