Re: [oletrucks] compressed air

To: bigfred@unm.edu
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] compressed air
From: Miq Millman <miq@hevanet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:26:38 -0800 (PST)
Why 2 stage 175?  simple, length of time between running the compressor.
If you bleed off 90 psi off a 175 psi source it will last a lot longer than
bleeding off a 125 psi source (typical holding tank for a single stage).

I went overkill on my compressor:  7.5 hp dual cylinder dual stage 26 cfm
@125 psi.  It was expensive at the time (about $1200) but it is 10 years
old now, and I have never regretted it.  I think the time the compressor
has run over the years is about 1/4 as much as a single stage would have
run, and the fact that the last compressor before the big one (5 hp single)
lasted about 4 years before going out on me, seems to back that up.

I still see large used compressors for sale from time to time in the paper,
if they are maintained well (auto drained, oil changed, wired correctly) a
big compressor will last for 20 years or more.

It's really nice to be able to not have the compressor running constantly.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@bigllama.com