Re: [oletrucks] door latch

To: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] door latch
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:19:53 -0800
Depending on how big your forearms are, you can slip the latch out around
the glass channel without removing the window. It must be rolled up.  If
you get it out but can't get it back in you can remove the glass and
channel to get more room; you're not out any additional work. I have done
this on a 51 several times and it should work on a 50 despite the wider
channel. This is worth a try as it saves a lot of work.

1. Remove the door panel and handles
2. Remove the outside handle and the two screws that hold the lower end of
the rear glass channel
3. Remove all but one of the latch-retaining screws, leaving the last one
loose enough to remove with fingers.
4. Reach inside the rear access hole with one hand and grab the latch while
loosening the remaining screw with the other hand.
5. Lower the latch about four inches or so and rotate it counter-clockwise
(for a drivers side door, clockwise for passenger door) as viewed from  the
top around the glass channel,
6. Then pull it out of the access hole just below the window.

  If you drop the latch, you can retrieve it by removing the access panel
by the lower hinge and reach in and get it. Either way you do it make sure
you can get these screws out before you start the job.

-Tom

51 3800

At 05:47 PM 12/11/01 -0800, joe wrote:
>Hi Ric,
>
>The latch replacement isn't to difficult but it is time consuming.  You have
>to remove the door glass and vertical glass guide to remove the latch
>mechanism.  So that means removing:
>1. inner door window trim
>2. door panel
>3. glass and door handles
>4. door handle mechanism from door skin and latch mechanism
>5. glass
>6. glass channel felt
>7. vertical glass track by latch mechanism
>8. latch mechanism
>
>Reverse order to install..........

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA