Re: [oletrucks] compressed air hell

To: "Thomas Farrow" <teftom@earthlink.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] compressed air hell
From: "Bob Chansler" <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:30:44 -0700
Tom,
Just to add to your confusion, about a month ago "Dream Car Garage" on
Speedvision had a segment on air plumbing and they put in all PVC. I would
think their lawyers would have nixed it if was a real problem. When I
bought my house a year ago the shop already had black pipe, although its
only 1/2 inch. I probably have about 200 feet of pipe running around the
place.
My shop is 80 x 45. (I bought the place for the shop; the house came with
it.) I do get moisture and rust in the pipe so be sure to put a drop below
the outlets with a valve so you can purge the gunk.
I ended up buying a 2 stage Devilbiss compressor from Lowes for about $650.
Works great with LOTS of air. I left it on the wood pallet and put that on
top of a 1/2 inch rubber mat for isolation.

Bob Chansler

                      "Thomas Farrow"

                      <teftom@earthlink.n        To:
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      et>                        cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [oletrucks]
compressed air hell
                      owner-oletrucks@aut

                      ox.team.net

                      12/12/2001 07:45 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Thomas Farrow"

Hey all,
   Well I am the one who started the compressed air piping thread of late.
Here is what my research has found.
Opinions on Ole Trucks and my woodworker forum ran about the same. After
reading them all my brain began to hurt.  Split right down party lines,
some
PVC, some copper, black pipe, galvanized, and the latest entry, ChemAire by
ChemTrol plastic made for compressed air. Easy answer, not so fast (brain
really getting sore now).
   Next I get the bright idea to consult PVC manufacturers. 75% do not
recommend it for air, a few said it would work.  The funny thing is when
you
talk to them on the phone, they will not endorse it on the record. If you
press a bit they admit it is what is in their shops, unofficially say it is
fine.  Lawyers, all say they cannot endorse because of lawyers. I may be
leaking brain matter at this point.
   Next bright idea, visit some shops in NE Tennessee where I live. Auto
shops,  of 4 visited, 3 PVC, 1 gal. steel.  Woodworking shops, again 4
visited, all PVC with purple glue. I need that purple glue to seal up my
head as I have blown a head gasket.
   What am I going to do??  Start drinkin and ponder it somemore...... Chem
Air sounds cool but it is $1.65 a foot for 3/4.  Galv. is $1.08 a foot for
3/4 and black pipe is .92. Good ole PVC is $1.25 for 10 feet, what's that
.12 a foot. I'll need about 100 to 110 feet.
I'm goin down in the basement and look at my hoses on the ceiling. Their
not
that bad. I'll keep ya posted on what finally end up, up there.  Thanks for
all the opinions and advice....................tom