[oletrucks] Swapping AD body on newer chassis

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Swapping AD body on newer chassis
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:36:55 EST
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Full-name: JohnHuntD
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:36:03 EST
Subject: Swapping AD body on newer chassis
To: jpeters@sikorsky.com

Jon,

We exchanged e-mails a few days ago about my installing '88 Corvette
independent front and rear suspension with disc brakes under my '49 3/4 ton
longbed 3600 pickup.

I'm wondering if a better way to put modern suspension and brakes under my
'49 longbed is to take advantage of GM's engineering expertise and find a
'donor' complete 1970's or 1980's Chevy or GMC pickup, Blazer, Suburban, etc.
that already has independent front suspension, a stronger rear end, front
disc brakes, power steering, a 350 V8, etc., and mount my '49 pickup body
onto that frame and chassis. I see these vehicles in the Baltimore papers
frequently with prices of $500 or less, although I imagine they are pretty
high-mileage, rusty and rough at that price.

I'm told the frame rails on the 1970's and 1980's Chevy pickups, Blazers,
etc. are farther apart than the AD frame rails, so I don't know which if any
of these later trucks have frame rails that would fit under my '49 AD cab.

I suspect somebody out there has done this, and I would very much appreciate
hearing from you or anyone else out there about the following:

1) Which later model chassis 'fit' under an AD pickup body, and is there a
year and model of later model pickup, Blazer, Suburban, etc. that is the best
fit?

2) Are there any major headaches involved in the conversion beyond
fabricating all the mounts and brackets to mount the AD bed, cab, fenders,
etc. on the later model chassis?

3) For anyone who has actually done this, do you recommend going this route
as opposed to sticking with the existing '49 frame rails and installing a
later model IRS crossmember and disc brakes and a better rear end onto the
'49 frame rails?

Many thanks in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, Md.