[oletrucks] stop light/turn signal issues 57 Chevy 3100

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] stop light/turn signal issues 57 Chevy 3100
From: Drew Dixon <chevy57pkup@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
I've been going round n' round with my stop lights.
I've had to replace the stop light switch several
times.  Recently once again it started giving me
problems.  Sometimes it work ok, other times the stop
lights would not come one at all, othertimes they
would not go off.  It was a learning experience,
finally I had an epiphany and realized that my issue
wasn't the switch at all, rather it is the eccentric
bolt that adjusts the travel/height of the pedal. Hey
I'm a rookie I never reaized it was there.  I think
what allowed me to realize it was there was because
finally it got loose enough that it was just rolling
around; thus sometimes no stop lights or always on or
worked sometimes.  So I got the bolt tightened up and
put in a new cotter pin; voila brake lights!  Bzzzz
wrong 1 stop light left side no workie.  Bulbs ok,
tinkered around and discovered that even though the
left turn signal was 'blinlking there apparently is
connection between the turn signal switch and the stop
lights. If the turn signal lever isn't in the absolute
'nuetral' position the left stop light stop comming
on.  I haven't taken the turn signal assembly apart
yet.  There is a ring that sits below the steering
wheel around the column that the turn signal lever
goes into which I assume covers the turn signal
switch.  This ring has a few degrees of rotation which
I don't think it should.  I've looked in my 1957 shop
manual reprint and haven't found any details on this
also have the reprint of the factory assembly manual,
haven't found anything there either.  Any guidance
from the list members?
http://taxes.yahoo.com/