RE: [oletrucks] Lowering our '50 GMC

To: dave@juniorbaseball.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Lowering our '50 GMC
From: josiah.bartlett@exgate.tek.com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:06:52 -0700
Dave and Dusty,
My '50 is completely stock except for 15" wheels and I have the stock
springs. I just finished rebuilding the front end with new spring shackles,
king pins, u-bolts, and shocks (gabriel red ryders). The improvement over
the ride I had before is 10fold. I have Dunlop 235-75R15 tires and I don't
suggest going any wider than that on the front with stock steering- the
steering effort becomes really difficult (even for me, 6'2" and muscular)
and you will find that the steering box and tie rod ends will wear rather
quickly. It tracks really well with what I have done. You can still tell it
is a solid axle but it actually feels safe not scary like it did before. If
you go with 60 series low profile be aware that the ride will be pretty
harsh and the motor will need to spin faster to get to the same highway
speed (not a problem if you put in taller rear end gears). I am going to go
with narrower tires on the front when I put new ones on. I know that a
monoleaf will get you lower and I expect that it will ride better but not
corner as well (less stiff). You will want to add an anti-sway bar (a good
idea anyway) My truck has stock leaves that have sagged to almost flat over
the years and I didn't remove any leaves so they wouldn't bend backwards.
The truck rides better than the 4wd heavy duty Fords I have driven. Don't
expect a car ride though. If you put in a monoleaf you may want to get a
shorter pittman arm. Keep the drag link between the steering box and
steering knuckle as parallel to the ground as possible to avoid bump steer.
Get the truck aligned before you drive it too much on the new tires.