Re: [oletrucks] Replacing side window run channel

To: "'OLE-CHEVY-TRUCKS'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Replacing side window run channel
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:55:28 -0700
If you have the original channels, reuse the metal clips (install them on
the new channel in the same position) that are attached to it every 10
inches *or so*.  It's hard to bend out the crimp on the clip, so I drilled a
centering hole in them and fastened them to the channel with a shallow head
pop rivet.  Countersink the felt material so that the rivet head will not
scrape the window frame.  The channel with then pop into place in the door
frame.  I thought I saw the clips offered new in some vendors catalog, but
remember an email from several years back saying they were junk.  The nice
things about the clips is the ease of installation/removal.

As far as the curves go, it's likely your reproduction does not have the
bends pre-formed.  Do not cut it into pieces as it was meant to be
continuous.  You need to be patient and carefully (and using the original
ones if you have them) bend the radius by hand (there are three small and
one large one).  The accordion style of the channel will contract making for
a nice finish, if done evenly.  Use the window frame (out of the door) as a
pattern.  It took me awhile to get things just right, but the better you
pre-form the channel, the better it looks installed.  Once one side is done,
use it as a pattern for the other, realizing that the clips need to mirrored
(if you use them).  Note that the clips have to be installed correctly
position-wise in relation to the bends, otherwise the clips land in a
position in the door frame that will not work.

Good luck.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100
http://students.washington.edu/jonesal/truck.html